Thursday, March 29, 2012

What Lent Means To Me - 4/1/2012



This is the fifth in a series that will be included in the Sunday Bulletin each week during Lent.

by Cindy Pillow

There were tables in the shape of 3 large crosses, hot cross buns and hot tea. You must behave yourself. You are eating with at least 50 elderly women. There is a Sacrificial Breakfast at church. What fun??? Why call it “Good Friday”, Jesus DIED today. A program that is especially boring for children. Oh no, those are not
raisins in the hot cross buns, it’s that nasty candied fruit, I wonder if I can hide it under my plate?

Dying eggs, new shoes and what’s for Easter dinner? Oh, my it’s Lent, “What should I give up?” Maybe it should be soda, ice cream or CHOCOLATE? Where can I get Easter crosses for the Easter Baskets? No candy for the child with braces. While in a hurry to prepare for Easter the season of Lent is delegated to a mild inconvenience of remembering to deny myself a pleasure, but God’s love is never denied to us.

Now, repentance, self denial and gratitude from Ash Wednesday to Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and Holy Saturday. We should not be giving up but giving more. I should be giving my time for a letter of thanks or praise of a job well done. Giving my abilities to listen, lead or create. What more can I give when Jesus gave it all?